The history of All Saints begins with the establishment of routes to the gold fields in the interior of British Columbia from the middle of the 19th century. The first services were conducted in Agassiz from 1888 under the auspices of the Fraser Missionary District, as a part of the Diocese of New Westminster. The need for a local Anglican church was first taken up in 1882 with the formation of the "English Church Building Committee" and subscriptions were sought by Mrs. C. Agassiz, of the founding family who also donated the land upon which the church stands. Construction was completed in 1896, having cost $1,127.36.
A rectory was built in 1913, again, on land donated by the Agassiz family and the church enjoyed gradual growth, notwithstanding war and financial hardship. The years from 1954 to 1959 saw a period of significant growth. The building saw its original flying buttresses removed and its foundation stabilized. A new parish hall, still in use, was built in 1957.
A 1963 inspection of the rectory uncovered significant structural issues, and rather than embarking upon expensive repairs and renovations, the house was sold and moved to MCCaffery Road, where it stands today. 1963 saw the merger of the parish with St.Peter's Rosedale, assisted in practical terms by the construction of the Agassiz-Rosedale bridge replacing the ferry which had served both communities for many years.
Today, the parish reflects the region's changing demographics and is committed to the maintenance of a post-modern spiritual community rooted in liturgical tradition and modern inclusiveness.
The "snow angel" which appears on the slope of the mountain to the east of the church was first noticed by the Agassiz family in the 1870's and influenced the location of the church. The angel makes her annual appearance by the spring melt. Sadly, climate change and warmer winters have reduced the size of her wings in recent years.
For further information with respect to the Agassiz family and the Agassiz/Harrison region, please click on the following link:
Link to Agassiz-Harrison Museum Website
All Saints relationship with First Nations
In reality, the parish of All Saints is situated on historical and unceeded territory of the Sto:lo Nation. The Anglican Church of Canada and the Diocese of New Westminster have issued apologies to all First Nations in Canada for our mistaken and sinful participation in the Residential Schools program that came from our colonial history. As a part of our act of contrition, we now recognize the territory where our parishes and churches are situated. We, as a part of the national church are also looking at the colonial history and attitude of which we were a part. We are working towards a greater, deeper, and honest relationship with our local First Nations Peoples. The General Synod has developed a timeline of our colonialism and a gradual understanding that God calls us to put this behind us and move forward in the Spirit of unity, equality and inclusion of all people within the life of the church, celebrating the unique and differing gifts that we all bring. Many people have worked long and hard on this journey of reconciliation justice. We have begun and with God’s Grace we move forward. The link to Anglican Timeline is attached below. For more information please go the the First Nations page in the Ministries section of this site.
Link to Anglican Timeline